Saturday, December 22, 2007

It's Almost Here

"Even if you win a battle, as long as the enemy's got a heart that's beating and a brain that's working, you'd better be prepared for a counterattack."
Ida B. by Katherine Hannigan

After over six years of repressing any reaction when frustrated with my sister-in-law, I reacted in October. My husband and I were trying to make some changes to our holiday schedule well in advance to avoid stress and let's just say that it wasn't received well by his side. When I spoke to his sister, I shared much of what had been bottled up for years. I don't know if anyone can relate, but I tend to hold in my feelings (with the exception of those for my poor husband) of frustration out of politeness and in hopes of avoiding conflict for so long that when they do come out, they are a bit like a landslide. While I may have been justified, I would probably have been more effective to have reacted to each incident over the years. Of course, if you feel that choosing battles is important, you don't want to make a big deal out of every little thing. Anyhow, since that conversation in October, there has been very little contact with Sis and I am waiting and waiting for the counterattack. I know it's coming. It's only a matter of time.

We've been making lots of cookies and candy around here. Yesterday was molasses cookies. The recipe is from my great-grandmother and the cookies are delicious. Enjoy!

Molasses Cookies

3/4 cup marg.
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1 egg
2 tsp baking soda
2 cups sifted flour
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt

Melt marg. in sauce pan over low heat. Remove and let cool. Add sugar, molasses, and eggs. Beat well. Add flour and dry ingredients. Chill. Form balls. Roll in sugar and bake on cookie sheet 8-10 minutes at 350 degrees.

Note: I melted the margarine in the microwave - Great-Grandma Emma didn't have that option in her day. Also, I sprayed the cookie sheets with cooking spray.



Craft To Do List:
(starting my New Year's Resolutions early)

Cap for Little Man
Car seat organizer
Shopping bag with pouch
towel animals (by Princess Buttercup's March birthday)
doll
doll bed mattress (take two)
frog softie, baby bib and slippers (gift needed by April)

No comments: